Attention Knox Game Designers, based on our discussions last month our December 15th Meetup will be a bit different – it will be a Game Jam! Specifically we’ll join in the Ludum Dare #28. Here is what we’ll be doing, and what you need to know about the weekend:
We will meet Friday December 13th @7PM at the Technology Cooperative – The Ludum Dare officially kicks off at 9PM when the game theme is announced. This will be a good time for any last minute questions on the jam, software, or process you have for making your game.
From Friday until Sunday work on your game. We won’t be keeping the Techco open the whole weekend for the jam (and there is a group that will be using the space Saturday morning).
We will meet again Sunday 15th @7PM at the Technology Cooperative – The Ludum Dare “compo” ends at 9PM and you game must be submitted by then. If you need to skip / come late to finish your game, by all means do. Know however that the Ludum Dare servers are notorious for being overloaded in the last moments so do not wait too long to submit your game. We’ll meetup to share our games, war stories of success and failure, and check out other entries.
What you should do before the jam:
- Read over the rules of the Ludum Dare and decide if you’ll be doing the “compo” or “jam” version.
- Get your development system ready to go – figure out what software you’ll be using and make sure it’s ready to go.
A list of common tools others have used in Ludum Dare is listed on the Tools page.
- Make an account on the Ludum Dare website
- The week leading up to the Jam, check the Ludum Dare site daily to vote on topics
- It’s common to live stream your game development – if you plan to do this then:
- It’s also common to make a timelapse video of your development, and there are some tools to help with this too. Again, test this out on your system before the jam beings.
Your game does not need to be complex and you don’t need to spend every hour of the jam devoted to making the game. Simple is better, and seeing friends and family is a good break to keep you fresh. The goal is to finish, and the reward is having completed a game!