It’s time for another game jam! If you’ve been to a jam in the past, it will be very similar. Some Notes:
Your game does not need to be complex and you don’t need to spend every hour of the jam devoted to making the game. Simple is better, and seeing friends and family is a good break to keep you fresh. The goal is to finish, and the reward is having completed a game! You can enter solo or as a team and parents, this is a great activity to do together with your kids.
We will meet Friday August 21th @7PM at the Technology Cooperative – The game jam officially kicks off at 9PM when the game theme is announced. This will be a good time for any last minute questions on the jam, software, or process you have for making your game.
From Friday until Sunday work on your game. We won’t be keeping the Techco open the whole weekend for the jam (and there is a group that uses the space Saturday mornings), and we won’t have a meetup Sunday, August 23rd.
We’ll share and recap our entries at the following meetup, September 13th, 2015.
What you should do before the jam:
- Read over the rules of the game jam and decide if you’ll be doing the “compo” or “jam” version.
- Get your development system ready to go – figure out what software you’ll be using and make sure it’s ready to go.
A list of common tools others have used in the game jam is listed on the Tools page, and links from previous meetups can be found on our site.
- Make an account on the game jam website
- Make an account on Itch.io (optional, but great place to host your entry)
- The week leading up to the Jam, check the game jam site daily to vote on topics
- It’s common to live stream your game development – if you plan to do this then:
- Setup a Twitch.tv account
- Install Open Broadcaster Software – a free, open source app for live streaming
- Test out Twitch and OBS (don’t wait to the jam to start learning about live streaming!)
- It’s also common to make a timelapse video of your development, and there are some tools to help with this too. Again, test this out on your system before the jam beings.